Embedded Endpoint Software and PC Host Tools
Mbarx-M2M is embedded end-point software with a suite of PC host tools for machine-to-machine (M2M) communications. It is suitable for site-wide operation and maintenance of many networked devices with various capabilities, using a private cloud model. Mbarx is suitable for applications including:
- Building access and security
- Healthcare and patient care systems
- Mass transit system control and security
- Data acquisition and SCADA devices
- Connected sensors and meters
- Building automation, HVAC systems and controls
Mbarx end-points broadcast information about their existence and capabilities allowing Mbarx host systems to discover, monitor and connect to them. Once connected the Mbarx protocol virtualizes operation and configuration through an internal agent in the end-point software. The result is a self-aware system that can be managed by a host machine in an ad-hoc or highly-supervised way. Mbarx end-point software is provided with all Arcturus system solutions and can be enabled on devices with as little at 256Kbyte of internal flash and 64Kbyte of SRAM. It is suitable for various classes of devices from simple connected sensors using low-cost MCUs to elaborate communications devices. Mbarx is ported to Linux and MQX operating systems and example code is provided to assist with integration.
Mbarx host PC tools aggregate end-point communication into database structures to support front-end presentation, analytics, operation and maintenance.
Mbarx-System Manager is a standalone PC tool with an intuitive graphic interface intended for system administrators and installers to help with everyday monitoring, configuring and maintaining of many devices. It auto-detects Mbarx end-points on the network and aggregates device information for presentation in an easy to use interface. Mbarx-System Manger supports bulk firmware upgrades, configuration, events, notifications and alarms. It displays unique device credentials, firmware version information and presents an operating mode icon transmitted from the device (e.g.: favicon). Firmware images can be stored and locked down in an internal repository and policy can be enabled to prevent users from uploading wrong firmware images.
Mbarx-Operations Controller is a Scalable Edge Node (SEN) class, server based PC host tool that aggregates the operation of many devices by many clients. The system uses an HTML5 presentation layer that eliminates the need to deploy multiple applications for AndroidTM, iPadTM, PC or MacTM. Presentation can be split over multiple browser windows allowing concurrent views by a central operator or using intuitive “crumbs” based navigation on a tablet or mobile device. Mbarx-OC makes the resources of the Mbarx end-points available to the web clients and can integrate additional HTML, data or other media elements. This allows the Mbarx-OC to tie together IP audio, video, statistical data, event notification and end-point operational controls into a single consistent user experience. Mbarx-OC is ideal for building systems, access control, security applications as well as patient care systems. It supports a hierarchical group management system to support web clients with the ability to subscribe to sub-groups, groups and super-groups of devices.
The iPad screen capture below illustrates how groups and subgroups can be used to represent floors and rooms in a building. This shows how the implementation can be integrated to create a powerful work flow tool, by visually representing an alarm and providing direct operational control through the mobile clients touch screen interface.
Mbarx-QT Console is A free QT-based host console implementation available for Windows and Mac. This implementation is designed to assist developers in creating their host own applications. It features connection and configuration settings, input and output status indicators as well as call control (for VoIP devices). A console displays the message handling between the device and the QT host console for debug.
- Command and control
- Events, notifications, alarms
- Configuration / set and get parameters
- VoIP call control, audio, voice messages
- Firmware upgrades
Device and Service Discovery
- MDNS broadcast
- Broadcast of unique device credentials (IPaddress, MAC/OUI, serial number)
- Broadcast of assignable credentials (location, name, service)
- Broadcast of firmware and hardware version
- Broadcast of operating mode or device class
- Broadcast of internal icon image (similar to favicon)
Device Virtualization Service
- Abstracts operation and supervision into a simple M2M protocol
- TCP based socket interface with guaranteed delivery
- Supports configuration, supervision and operation
- Light-weight text based protocol
- VoIP call control with audio settings
- Configuration of device parameters and account information
- Progress, status messages and event notifications
- Event notifications from external inputs
- Control of external outputs
- Host implementation example provided